USB devices, can they be static?

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed Apr 5 19:26:15 UTC 2006

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 15:01:11 -0400
David Walker <dave at mudsite.com> wrote:

> I have a USB hub with 7 compact flash cards connected.  Is there any way
> to have each flash drive always be /dev/sda (or b, or etc.etc.)  So far
> I have found that every boot they get remapped within /dev.
>
> So I ask, is there any way to do this?

There was an article in a recent issue of Linux Format about "udev rules"
IIRC. I think you can give devices their own labels and so on.

It can be done, by specifying your own rules - unfortunately I don't know
how :-)

But, in summary, yes I believe it is possible. Perhaps someone more
knowledgeable can point you in the right direction... Or as a start maybe
google for " udev rules " ?

For instance, "udev rules linux" returned this howto:

http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

Peter

 --

Linux User #343161