partition sizes

Al Gordon runlevel7 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 16:03:32 UTC 2006

On 4/5/06, Tony Arnold <tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> I usually have one parition for /user, /var and /tmp and make it about 8
> to 10 gigabytes. Between 50 and 100 meg for /boot should be plenty. You
> can calculate this. Take a look at the size of your kernel etc in /boot
> and then decide how many kernels you want to have around. I would allow
> for a minimum of 3.
>
> So all in all, your figures roughly agree with what I would do.

People should keep in mind, also, that Ubuntu provides for LVM at
install-time, so if you set up LVM logical volumes, you can resize
them - shrinking one to provide space to grow another - as long as you
format the partitions with a filesystem format that allows for this.
ext3, for example, will let you do grow or shrink, but you'll need to
take the volumes you want to resize offline in order to do the work.
xfs will allow you to grow a mounted volume (I think it actually
*requires* that the volume is mounted) but does not permit shrinking
at all.

--

  -- AL --