Fw: NOT HAPPY after Breezy upgrade/install

Darryl Clarke smartssa at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 02:46:04 UTC 2006

On 4/4/06, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2 at austin.rr.com> wrote:

[snip]

> * ifconfig <-- shows ONLY lo
> * route -n <-- shows nothing bu the header
> * ifconfig -a <-- no eth0 IP address but eth0, lo and sit0 show up
> * sudo ifconfig eth0 polar netmask 255.255.255.0
> * ifconfig -a <--- shows the correct IP address for eth0 all the others are
> unchanged
> * -- NOW I can ping other systems on my network
> * route -n <--- shows an entry for eth0
> * sudo route add -net 192.168.x.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw mateo
> * route -n <-- the added gateway line is added and appears correct
> * ping yahoo.com <-- unknown host, I still am able to ping within my network

[snip]

This shows to me that the interface is not being brought up on boot.

Is there a line that says 'auto eth0' in your /etc/networking/interfaces file?

Instead of doing 'ifconfig eth0 polar...' and 'route add -net...' try
'sudo ifup --verbose eth0'  If that fails then there _is_ something
wrong with your configuration file.

A normal /etc/network/interfaces file looks something like this:

-->8--
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback