ndiswrapper -i <driver> error

C Hamel yogich at sc2000.net
Tue Apr 4 23:04:31 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 04 April 2006 16:57, Andrew Zajac wrote:
> On 4/4/06, C Hamel <yogich at sc2000.net> wrote:
> > Now, this works on Breezy 5.10 w/o any issues whatsoever.  Dapper, on the
> > other hand, wanted to load the bcm43xx driver automagically and I don't
> > need
> > or want it.  It doesn't work.  I have tried iwconfig but that is pretty
> > useless unless & until one gets the card online.  Once the card is online
> > Breezy takes care of everything w/a 'dhcpcd wlan0' and I'm online at the
> > downtown office.  Dapper is another story.
>
> Are you trying to use both ndiswrapper and the linux native broadcom module
> at the same time?  That won't work.  I had the same surprise with a realtek
> card, recently.
>
> "Oh!  It works!"
>

> How do you blacklist something with udev?

I did start out by trying both ...and, surprise, surprise, it didn't work, of
course.  I then read a thread on bcm43xx & did the blacklist and when I
rebooted bcm43xx was not_there ...and ndiswrapper still would not bring the
interface up.  In Breezy it seems to be a non-issue.

The blacklisting was done thus:
blacklist bcm43xx in the top-most blacklist file off /etc/modprobe.d.  I then
decided to add my own: nano wireless-blacklist
...then added the bcm43xx.

I finally decided to do a 'apt-get dist-upgrade' and, with that final
disappointment, I am back on Breezy (see thread: Flight6: Highly
discouragned).  The more upgrades, the more breakages, unfortunately.  Dapper
definitely is not ready.  Postponing the release date was the correct
decision.
--
	...CH