Problems connecting Palm Pilot with USB

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Mon Apr 3 17:45:57 UTC 2006

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 09:59:06AM -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Marius Gedminas wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 10:55:05AM +0900, Dave M G wrote:
> >> I have a Palm T|X, and I'm running Dapper, (I think Flight 5, though I'm
> >> not sure).
> >
> > I have a Palm Tungsten T.  I have not fiddled with udev rules.  I use
> > /dev/ttyUSB0 directly (some Palm models use /dev/ttyUSB0, some use
> > /dev/ttyUSB1 and the only way I know to find the right one is to try
> > both).  The default permissions are OK, if your user account is in the
> > 'dialout' group.
> >
> It's worse than that.  If you have any other serial USB devices connected,
> the Palm will use some other /dev/ttyUSB* device.  The rule in udev to
> set /dev/pilot, _should_ be the right device.

You're right.

I do not have any other serial USB devices, so I don't care much.

Ubuntu's defaul udev rules in Dapper already create a /dev/pilot symlink
that I never noticed before.  It points to /dev/ttyUSB1 on my system,
and is therefore useless for me -- Tungsten T1 uses /dev/ttyUSB0 for
hotsyncing (while m500 and Tungsten T3 both use /dev/ttyUSB1).

> >> And lastly, I get this odd error that I completely don't understand when
> >> I simply went looking to see if there was a /dev/pilot entry:
> >> dave at homebase:/dev$ ls pilot
> >> ls: pilot: Too many levels of symbolic links
> >
> > It would seem that /dev/pilot points to itself, recursively.  Try ls -l
> > /dev/pilot.
> >
> > I suggest you try hotsyncing with /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1 (to
> > figure out which one is right for Palm T|X), instead of trying /dev/pilot
> > immediatelly.
>
> I'm not sure anyone has successfully got a T|X working with Kpilot, so I'm
> not holding out much hope with any of the other tools (Kpilot relies on
> pilot-link, anyway).

*Google* *google*

http://www.pilot-link.org/node/196 seems to indicate T|X ought to work
with pilot-link 0.12.0-preX.

Dapper has pilot-link 0.11.8.

Marius Gedminas
--
You have moved the mouse. NT must be restarted for the changes to take effect.