Destroying "only" your home directory (was Re: Newbie question on permissions)

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Apr 3 16:56:08 UTC 2006

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 12:04 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> This does look pretty well-planned, though it was started a little
>> late for
>> its intended target of Dapper.
>
> According to the latest Dapper Status Update, it will be included:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2006-March/000108.html

I don't quite understand that.  If you go to
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/home-user-backup

it says:
  Release goal:
   dapper (Declined)

Doesn't that mean no dapper?  I can't see how a product that doesn't even
exist yet (though they promise a package this week) can be released in
Dapper.

>> I checked out sbackup (not that you included that in the list)
>
> Well, I stopped at "c" :)

LOL - the addition of the kde tools and tar led me astray :-).

> I did include 2 KDE tools, but I haven't looked into them either

konserve is not unlike sbackup, in intent.  It aims to be a simple way to
perform a backup to another filesystem.  But it doesn't write CD/DVD
(though I suppose it could with the right kio_slave) and is not simple
enough for an average user, imo.

I haven't tried "keep", yet, but it works in much the same way - and still
no CD/DVD output.  I don't understand that - yes, if you only write to
mounted filesystems, you don't need user intervention, but for most users
the CD/DVD route is the _only_ way to go.  Non-technical users almost
certainly won't have a better way to do backups.
--
derek