Destroying "only" your home directory (was Re: Newbie question on permissions)

Michael T. Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 12:42:53 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-04 at 00:42 -0500, Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:

> If you are looking for a backup solution for power users, you can stop
> now.  They don't need another backup solution.

If by "power user" you mean "geeks steeped in the UNIX attitude" then
yes.  But that's not what I mean.  I mean, say, an accountant who messes
around with his system on weekends by "power user".  As in a regular
end-user with a bit more knowledge.  (In the UNIX world this typically
means enough knowledge to really f*** himself over.)

> If you are looking for a
> backup solution for a user that doesn't do command line or scripts,
> Nautilus, among others, solves this problem for 95% of cases.

Nautilus doesn't do file versioning.  It doesn't do
incremental/differential backups.  You can't flexibly include or exclude
files.  It is not a backup solution.  It is a hideous hack!

Go talk to an actual end-user sometime.  Or, rather, instead of talking
go and listen to an end-user.  Most end-users are tired of geeks talking
at them.  Watch them, instead, try and use your "solutions" and see why
end-users hate computers and the people who make them.

--
Michael T. Richter
Email: ttmrichter at gmail.com, mtr1966 at hotpop.com
MSN: ttmrichter at hotmail.com, mtr1966 at hotmail.com; YIM:
michael_richter_1966; AIM: YanJiahua1966; ICQ: 241960658; Jabber:
mtr1966 at jabber.cn

"I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the
institution of slavery in the States where it exists." --Abraham Lincoln