trying to make printer work...

Clive Menzies clive at clivemenzies.co.uk
Mon Apr 3 12:18:39 UTC 2006

On (03/04/06 12:58), ana wrote:
> I have asked about this problem on irc already but and there was some
> help but my printer is not working with ubuntu even though it is
> supposedly supported. It even has the driver already installed in the
> distribution, so in theory it is not necessary to download it.

On Debian I use cupsys to set up printers.  When I've tried setting up
printers using the Gnome printing configuration tool in Ubuntu, I've
encountered problems.  So I've resorted to using the cups webrowser
interface to set up printers.  You need to add the user 'cupsys' to the
shadow group first.  In a browser do, go to http://localhost:631 and
follow the instructions.  You need the following packages:

cupsys
cupsys-bsd
cupsys-client
foomatic-db-hpijs