Problems connecting Palm Pilot with USB

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Mon Apr 3 10:52:42 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 10:55:05AM +0900, Dave M G wrote:
> I have a Palm T|X, and I'm running Dapper, (I think Flight 5, though I'm
> not sure).

I have a Palm Tungsten T.  I have not fiddled with udev rules.  I use
/dev/ttyUSB0 directly (some Palm models use /dev/ttyUSB0, some use
/dev/ttyUSB1 and the only way I know to find the right one is to try
both).  The default permissions are OK, if your user account is in the
'dialout' group.

> I'm trying to get my Palm Pilot to connect, but I'm having problems.
> Gnome-Pilot, J-Pilot, and pilot-link see nothing.
>
> The instructions I've followed I've gained mainly, but not exclusively,
> from:
> http://webpages.charter.net/decibelshelp/LinuxHelp_UDEVPrimerMisc.html
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-77387.html
>
> However, differences appeared between my situation and the instructions
> given:
>
> On the first of the pages, it says one needs to set the permissions for
> /dev/pilot by editing this file: /etc/udev/permissions.d/10-udev.permissions
> However, I did not have a /etc/udev/permissions.d/ directory.

I have this directory on my Dapper system.  I run apt-get upgrade daily,
so I may have a newer udev.

> I went
> ahead and made one, but will the system find that directory since I just
> made it up?

It shouldn't matter, I think, since the default permissions ought to be
sufficient.

> Another difference is that on both pages, they say that ttyUSB0 and
> ttyUSB1 in the /sys/class directory should be created when pressing the
> HotSync button on the Palm device, and go away when the Sync completes
> or times out. On my system, those files are created the moment I plug
> the USB cable into the computer, and don't go away until I disconnect
> the cable.

Interesting.

> And lastly, I get this odd error that I completely don't understand when
> I simply went looking to see if there was a /dev/pilot entry:
> dave at homebase:/dev$ ls pilot
> ls: pilot: Too many levels of symbolic links

It would seem that /dev/pilot points to itself, recursively.  Try ls -l
/dev/pilot.

I suggest you try hotsyncing with /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1 (to
figure out which one is right for Palm T|X), instead of trying /dev/pilot
immediatelly.

HTH,
Marius Gedminas
--
IBM motto: "We found five vowels hiding in a corner, and we used
them _all_ for the 'eieio' instruction so that we wouldn't have to use