GUI backup tools? ( was:Re: Destroying "only" your home directory )

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Mon Apr 3 10:00:19 UTC 2006

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 11:53:30 +0300
Ari Torhamo <ari.torhamo at saunalahti.fi> wrote:

[ snip ]

> First I tell people that security is the strong point of Linux. Then I
> tell them that backing up personal files is very important. Next I have
> to tell them that there's no usable graphical tool available for doing
> this in Ubuntu/Linux. (Backing up 1,5 gigs of data every time when some
> of the files have changed isn't usable. Trying to remember which files
> have changed when you would like to get them backed up isn't usable).
>
> I think this problem has been recognized among Ubuntu developers and
> hopefully things will get better in the future :-)

There is a tool called "Simple Backup" ( package name sbackup) I'm not
sure how much it is capable of, but it puts two entries in the menu
("Simple Backup Config"   and "Simple Backup Restore" )

Perhaps worth a look - I just installed it, and haven't explored it yet ( A
taxing download of 36 KB ;-)

Peter

--

Linux User #343161