Opera & Midnight Commander

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Sun Apr 2 01:36:41 UTC 2006

"Michael V. De Palatis" <mdepalatis at mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 04:10:32PM +1100, Peter Garrett wrote:
>> Yes , apt-cache policy shows it in the universe repository. Emelfm is a
>> GUI file manager though, so it doesn't have the same functionality as mc -
>> mc can be useful without X as well.
>
> I was going to say this. The reason that mc should be included by
> default is that it gives the new user a command-line filemanager to
> use if (s)he would happen to need it. emelfm is fine, but it doesn't
> really help that much since it's only usable if X is working. It would

For a new user mc IMHO isn't that much help if X is not workibng. To get
it working he/she would need help anyway, and giving help in this case
is usually much easier if you tell the needed command line steps.

Having mc in main IMHO would be nice nonetheless as it is a classical.

   Florian
--
You're suggesting MS stands for 'Mimick or Steal', right?
[W.H.Offenbach in <mailman.60.1131007589.18701.python-list at python.org>]