CD burning - hardware compatibility

Conrad Newton conrad.newton at broadpark.no
Sun Apr 2 11:54:02 UTC 2006

>From Daniel Carrera on Sunday, 2006-04-02 at 12:25:30 +0100:
> Conrad Newton wrote:
> >Nowadays, with the help of K3b, burning a CD is more or less trivial.
> >The only time I have experienced difficulty was when I tried to burn
> >a DVD, and the CD/DVD burner was not recognized as a DVD burner,
> >although it burns CDs just fine.   I expect you can replace the
> >CD player by a CD-burner, and it will just work, so long as you have
> >an entry for a CD-player in /etc/fstab --- which I assume you do.
>
> My fstab has this entry:
>
> /dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
>
> It currently works for my CD ROM. Will this also magically work if I
> replace it by a CD burner?

Now that I have seen your /etc/fstab, there is a doubt.
Usually, the CD-burner wants to be identified as a scsi-device.
In my /etc/fstab I have

/dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0

If you want burning to work, you will need something similar.

> What are the steps for getting a CD burner up and running?
>
> Step 1: Replace the CD drive by the CD-R drive.
> Step 2: Reboot computer.
> Step 3: ?????
>
> I assume that step 3 involves something with something called "k3b". Help?

It is a KDE program, if you are using Kubuntu it is already installed.
With Gnome I suppose you would use nautilus-cd-burner.  The only issues
that ever seem to arise with these programs are permissions/access
to the burning/device, i.e.

$ ll /dev/scd0

should be owned by "root" with group "cdrom".

$ grep cdrom /etc/group
cdrom:x:24:conrad,hal

This command tells me that I am in the "cdrom" group.
Everyone in the "cdrom" group has access to the burner.

You may have some small problems in setting it up,
but it will not cost you much effort.  It will be
more work to open the case and replace the CD.

Conrad