Modem works, Internet doesnot??

Conrad Newton conrad.newton at broadpark.no
Sun Apr 2 11:33:49 UTC 2006

From Bikram विक्रम on Sunday, 2006-04-02 at 14:24:56 +0545:
> Hi all,
> I'm using ubuntu5.10 with External Dialup modem.
> wvdial identifies the modem and dials to my ISP but I can't browse.
>
> on ifconfig, ppp0 had public ip address, i can ping to only this IP address
> and nothing more.

Can you ping anybody else, e.g. yahoo?

ping 66.94.234.13

If not, then although your network is up, you still need to identify
your ISP as your "gateway" to the internet.  Please tell us what you
see when you type

route -n

If so, then it sounds like you don't have any nameservers listed in
/etc/resolv.conf.  Normally your ISP should provide you with the IP
addresses of two or more nameservers, to translate between IP numbers
and regular addresses:

/etc/resolv.conf

nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

If you find out from your ISP what nameservers they use (and make sure
they are working!), then enter them into /etc/resolv.conf, you should be
able to browse.

Conrad