apt-get dist-upgrade ends with error

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Sun Apr 2 00:08:50 UTC 2006

Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 20:47:37 +0200
> "Colin Brace" <cb at lim.nl> wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just attempted to upgrade from Breezy to Dapper by "apt-get
>> dist-upgrade", and after around an hour and forty minutes the process
>> terminated with an error message:
>>
>> [...]
>> Removing gnomemeeting ...
>> gconftool-2: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgconf-2.so.4: undefined
>> symbol: g_slice_alloc0
>> dpkg: error processing gnomemeeting (--remove):
>>   subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 127
>> Errors were encountered while processing:
>>   gnomemeeting
>> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>>
>> Not sure whether or not Dapper is now fully installed. Anyone have any
>> suggestions as to how to proceed?
>>

> I've found on a dist-upgrade you sometimes need to run
>
> sudo apt-get -f install
>
> and then
>
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> several times to clear up some errors. May not help in your case but it is
> always worth trying.
>
> HTH   :)

Just to add one more thing, sometimes' sudo apt-get -f install' gets
hung up on a package that won't install correctly. I had a situation
with a non-standard repository when upgrading to the version in the
standard repository it was not removing the non-standard one before
installing the new one. In order to fix apt-get, I had to run:
sudo dpkg --remove <package>
to remove the non-standard package, and allow the upgraded version to
install.

-Matt