extra PAM modules

John Richard Moser nigelenki at comcast.net
Sat Apr 1 19:00:35 UTC 2006

I am looking into a couple of extra PAM modules.  Mainly I am
considering libpam-cracklib (in main) and libpam-tmpdir.  These seem
mainly appropriate for default installs; although libpam-cracklib may
raise some eyebrows when passwords such as "fluffy" don't go in.

I have not tested libpam-tmpdir extensively yet in dapper but will be
getting on that ASAP.  As for libpam-cracklib, I have a potential
install-time solution:

Enter password for user john:

  NOTE:  Ubuntu uses a secure password system to
  prevent the use of weak passwords.  Short
  passwords or passwords based largely on
  dictionary words will not work unless you
  disable this feature.

_____________________________

[X] Secure passwords  <OK>  <CANCEL>

Unticking "Secure passwords" would disable this feature.  This would
allow users to mainly ignore this feature unless it got in the way.
Disabling it later could be an option in the users-admin tool.

I have attached /etc/pam.d diffs for cracklib and tmpdir, both of which
need the appropriate pam modules installed (libpam-cracklib and
libpam-tmpdir).  One of them is just uncommenting 2 lines and commenting
a third; the other is adding a line.  If nobody sees any special
concerns, these should be considered for Dapper+1.

    new problems waiting out there.
                                                 -- Eric Steven Raymond

    We will enslave their women, eat their children and rape their
    cattle!
                                     -- Evil alien overlord from Blasto