Sudden audio problem

Derek Croxton dcroxton at oxenstierna.homelinux.net
Thu Sep 29 21:14:30 UTC 2005

I downloaded 5.10 (Breezy Badger) last week and have enjoyed it very
much.  Today I used Audacity to play a few mp3's, and it worked fine.
Then, later in the same session, I started getting the following error
whenever I opened Audacity:

There was an error initializing the audio i/o layer.
You will not be able to play or record audio.

Error:  Host error.

The odd thing, apart from the fact that it had been working fine just an
hour before, is that audio appears to work fine for all other
applications.  The only thing I could think that I might have done to
mess it up was to install other software.  I tried removing Audacity
completely and re-installing it, but that didn't help.  I don't see any
config file for Audacity, and I don't have a clue about audio.  Can
anyone help?

--
Sincerely,
Derek