Kernel 386 installed instead of 686

Matt Patterson matt at v8zman.com
Thu Sep 29 20:53:02 UTC 2005

Ubuntu ships with a lot of precompiled kernel modules, this requires a
standardized kernel. This is one of the MAJOR improvements that ubuntu
introduces to linux. Why do you think it is so easy to have standardized
drivers in windows? Because the kernel NEVER changes. Thus by running
the default kernel you are guaranteed to have the same thing that the
developer and tester had. I am very happy about the standardized kernel
and was disappointed to find that the hoary install dvd seems to be
smart enough to install different kernels. No one really notices the
speed improvement between 386/686/k7 anyway unless you use extensions
like mmx/sse, or have a smp system as I do. So why not try and make
things standardized?!?

Matt