simple add to admin group

janne.jokitalo at dnainternet.net janne.jokitalo at dnainternet.net
Thu Sep 29 08:44:55 UTC 2005

Quoting "R.L. Reingard" <reingard at hispeed.ch>:

> hi all

Hello!

> yesterday i fixed the 'sudoers disaster' simply by:
>
> picking the "recovery mode"
> AND putting my user back to the admin group:
> $ adduser username admin
>
> eventhough i like the fact, that i was able to fix the 'sudoers
> disaster' so quickly, i question myself now:

Never hurts to do so every once in a while... :)

> someone knowing the password of a simple user (one not in the
> sudoers-list) could start up the machine in 'recovery mode' and add that
> user by the same command to the admin group (the admin group, which has
> by default sudo rights).

Yes, this is true.

> is that nice?

I suppose. Consider the situation where you were, but didn't have that
opportunity at all. What would you have done then?

I think this has already been under conversation here earlier, and if I remember
correctly the suggestions were to protect the boot menu first, or set a BIOS
level password, so that you cannot even get to the phase where you can choose
single-user mode (without knowing the BIOS password). I might forget something,
so people wiser than me, please correct me if that's wrong.

I've made that BIOS thingie, and I am well aware that a skilled intruder could
possible go around that, no problem. I don't think any measures will stop
someone determined enough to break into your system. But it rules out everyone
who just happen to walk by a shutdown laptop that's been left alone for one
minute while the owner is taking a leak.

--
Jaska