Ubuntu on an older PC

David david at kenpro.com.au
Thu Sep 29 04:25:57 UTC 2005

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 05:31:37PM -0700, Mike Drabik wrote:

> You see it is important to me to have the old'uns
> connected wirelessly. Here I found something that no
> flavor of Linux has been able to beat Windows with
> yet.
>
> Puppy was my last use of Linux on the old laptops. In
> April of 2005- I struggled and worked very, very hard
> to get the wireless aspect to work on Linux. Finally
> after a 14 day herculean effort I got the laptop to
> connect - for 5 minutes. Then I accidentally shut the
> laptop off and when I got it back up I tried to get
> the wireless connection back - it was nada - I gave'er
> more try for about 5 days and then gave up and
> installed Winodws Mistake Edition (ME) and connected
> wirelessly within minutes.

I've been using hoary with a pcmcia wireless card on my laptop for a few
months now and it's perfectly reliable. It's used by the staff at work, so
about 15 brain dead punters use this machine and nobody has any problems.
It just works. It's an athelon card.

I posted a fix that I had to do to this list months ago, but hopefully
that will be overcome in Breezy.