that darned ROOT problem

Guido Heumann listguido at web.de
Wed Sep 28 21:05:04 UTC 2005

Am Mittwoch, 28. September 2005 21:51 schrieb Bo Grimes:
> Guido Heumann wrote:

> >>There is NOT.  Not in the ISO I burned.  I can take a pic with my
> >>digital camera if you like and post it.
> >
> >No need for that, look here:
> >http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=305&slide=14
> >
> >So there IS a message, but I also think it could be clearer both in
> > wording and visibility.
>
> I know I said I was dropping it, but that is distinctly NOT a message
> explaining how to access root, just that you're creating a non-root
> account.  It implies there is a root account somewhere.  If you can read
> that message and understand you need to sudo, more power to you.  You
> have a high PSI. :-)

I actually don't remember from where I learned about Ubuntu's root-less
concept, but almost certainly not from that screen message ;-)

What I wanted was only to give a link as a reference what this (sub-)thread
was speaking about: a "message about it", though not really "clear".

I didn't mean to start a flamewar on this rather old topic, sorry if it
sounded this way.