Multiple sessions (was: that darned ROOT problem)

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed Sep 28 19:56:19 UTC 2005

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:54:05 -0400
Bo Grimes <newslists at isp.com> wrote:

> I think people on broadband, some of whom have never known anything
> else, forget what a pain it is to do things like log off the internet,
> log out of an account, then someone else logs in, dials back up,
> etc...all just to browse the web, chat or email.  People won't do it, so
> you effectively have a single user system anyway.

You do realise that you don't have to disconnect your dialup to change from one account to another, don't you? I do it all the time here on dialup. It's just a matter of configuring so that the connection won't drop when you log out.

You don't even need to logout, actually...

As far as I know, if you use the "New Logon" feature of gnome ( gdmflexiserver ), it won't cut off your internet connection - at least, it doesn't here. If you use this you don't even need to log off your original session...

Peter
--

Linux User #343161