Acrobat Reader install difficulty

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 18:31:37 UTC 2005

I'm an experienced Linux user trying Ubuntu (Hoary Hedgehog) for the
first time.

I tried to follow the instructions for installing Acrobat Reader and
the related firefox plugin at ubuntuguide.org. They suggest, first,
making changes to /etc/apt/sources.list, including uncommenting some
sources and adding others, like:

## Backports
deb http://ubuntu-backports.mirrormax.net/ hoary-backports main
universe multiverse restricted
deb http://ubuntu-backports.mirrormax.net/ hoary-extras main universe
multiverse restricted

That source didn't work, so I found another online:
http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/ubuntu-backports. That one's up,
but when I try to install acroread, mozilla-acroread, and
acroread-plugins I still run into two problems:

1) When installing acroread and mozilla-acroread:

  mozilla-acroread: Depends: acroread (>= 7.0) but 5.10-0.2 is to be installed
E: Broken packages

2) When installing acroread-plugins:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package acroread-plugins

Any tips for how I /really/ install Acrobat Reader?

Thanks,
Matt