that darned ROOT problem

Matan Nassau matan.nassau at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 18:23:43 UTC 2005

On 9/28/05, Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic at dantian.org> wrote:
> I must however say I would very much like it to have su give a
> reasonable answer when someone uses it.

I don't think so. Ubuntu shouldn't be another Microsoft Windows, we
have this already and it doesn't work.

Ubuntu is a unix-flavoured operating system. Small and good
components, remember? You don't wrap su to something bigger that talks
more. You just don't. And no excuse of "human beings" holds here. How
do you define "human beings"? As those educated by Microsoft? But we
already know that the Microsoft way is crappy.

The only way is to know about it. You don't need su to talk more,
you're supposed to know what it wants to say. How do you know? You
read. The fact that you were not informed during install is not ok, I
agree, because this way of working with sudo is indeed not common
among distros. I hope it will be solved by the end of the beta of
breezy.

--
MN