Ubuntu on an older PC

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Sep 28 14:41:15 UTC 2005

On 2005-09-28, david <nux at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I was thinking about putting Ubuntu on a PC and giving it to a
>>> friends Son.  The PC would be Pentium II 350 with 128M ram.
>>> Would this be a waste of time with a machine this slow?
>>
>> I have several machines of exactly this spec running various
>> flavours of Linux including Kbuntu and they run just fine,
>> another one to look at on older spec machines is Vector Linux.
>> If you are giving this PC to a newbie I would recommend a
>> distro with KDE ( like Kbuntu ) as it is the most Windows like
>> GUI.
>
> Vector Linux is excellent for older machines. It's fast, laden
> with software and has some really nice desktops. Well worth a
> look.

Ubuntu should work fine as well, but Gnome or KDE are both
going to be sluggish.  I'd probably try something like XFCE (if
you want a "desktop") or blackbox if you just want a window
manager.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  -- In 1962, you could
                                  at               buy a pair of SHARKSKIN