Dual Boot Grub Question (boot cd problem)

Richard Querin rfquerin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 13:42:26 UTC 2005

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Richard Querin <rfquerin at gmail.com>
Date: Sep 28, 2005 9:42 AM
Subject: Re: Dual Boot Grub Question (boot cd problem)
To: Till <tillm at optushome.com.au>

On 9/28/05, Till <tillm at optushome.com.au> wrote:

> Are you just trying to dual boot Ubuntu with XP, or do you
> have more complicated needs?
>
> --
> Till

I am trying to dual boot with XP. I've tried the standard way (both writing
grub to the MBR and putting it into it's own /boot partition) and it isn't
working. The boot cd solution seems like my last hope.

Currently, if I use the ubuntu installer (the partitioner) to make the /boot
partition bootable, then the grub menu works however windows will not launch
(NTLDR missing message) but ubuntu will launch. The only way I can make XP
boot it seems is to keep the NTFS partition bootable but then it boots
straight to XP bypassing grub entirely.

The original attempt which overwrote the MBR did not work. Creating the
/boot paritition seems like the most successful try so far, if I could only
solve the NTLDR missing problem. I've messed around with menu.lst file to no
avail.