every kernel-update breaks my installation

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Wed Sep 28 11:23:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 21:39 +0200, Horst Schlonz wrote:
> i have to replace
> root (hd0,6)
> with
> root (hd0,5)
First: back up the file "/boot/grub/menu.lst" before doing anything!
Then:
Search for the line that reads:
        # groot=(hd0,6)
and change it to:
        # groot=(hd0,5)

> and
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-5-386 root=/dev/hda7 ro single
> with
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-5-386 root=/dev/hda6 ro single
> in every stanza to make it work again.
Change the line that reads:
        # kopt=root=/dev/hda7 ro single
to:
        # kopt=root=/dev/hda6 ro single

> i've red the instructions but i simply don't get it. why can't
> update-grub just leave my installation alone?

I'm not sure why, but I think it's intended for flexibility and future
compatibility.

When installing a new Kernel, and after doing the "wrong thing", it
search for the lines that start with only one "#" sign in the "### BEGIN
AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST" section and apply their meaning to the
configuration to fix everything as you (the user) want it.

In other words, your setting should be in those commented out lines
(those that start with a "#" sign) in "### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST"
section!

Maybe one of the developer/maintainers can comment on this subject end
enlighten us?

Ziyad.