342 updates on new Breezy

sjoeboo sjoeboo at sjoeboo.com
Mon Sep 26 15:22:27 UTC 2005

Albert wrote:
> As a new user of Ubuntu, I am still trying to understand what's going
> on.  Immediately upon installing 5.10, I was notified of 342 updates
> pending.  I waited until this morning to install them.  It appeared to
> me that everything from the kernel to fonts, was updated.  I don't
> understand how so many packages could require updating on a new
> install.  Would someone please explain, or point me to appropriate docs?

yes. you installed 5.10, aka,the ubuntu development version. althought
it may seem very stable, its technically has not been released yet.
meaning, that there could be a few hunder updates everyday untill
release day (1st week of OCT.) you shouldn't notice any new features/UI
changes, since there is a feature and string freeze in effect. These are
mostly tiny little bug fixes. The updates "should" die down once it is
release, because then only critical security updates will be handed out
(excluding backports, of course)