Kernel update - now no DRI

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Mon Sep 26 08:27:03 UTC 2005

On Monday 26 September 2005 15:35, James Gray wrote:
> I've been using the packages from Flavio Stanchina
> (http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.stanchina/debian/fglrx-installer.html)
> for a while with my Ati X300 lappy.  Everything was happy and 3D
> apps/screen savers were smoooth :)
>
> $ lsmod
> fglrx                 261352  0
>
> $ dmesg | grep fglrx
> fglrx: module license 'Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg,
> GERMANY' taints kernel.
> [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 432 MBytes.
> [fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.16.20 [Aug 16 2005] on minor 0
>
> All is well.  Until I restart X only to find I still have no accelerated
> 3D! Bummer.  Here's the relevant lines from /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

Hmm, spoke too soon.  After grokking a few logs (/var/log/messages
and /var/log/syslog mostly) it looks like the fglrx driver isn't loading
correctly afterall.  Here's what used to appear in the logs prior to the
kernel update today:

[fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 432 MBytes.
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:01:00.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
[fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.16.20 [Aug 16 2005] on minor 0
[fglrx] free  PCIe = 54804480
[fglrx] max   PCIe = 54804480
[fglrx] free  LFB = 55504896
[fglrx] max   LFB = 55504896
[fglrx] free  Inv = 0
[fglrx] max   Inv = 0
[fglrx] total Inv = 0
[fglrx] total TIM = 0
[fglrx] total FB  = 0
[fglrx] total PCIe = 16384

Note the lack of the Copyright notice and the additional lines about memory
use/allocation.  According to modprobe, it IS picking up the recompiled
kernel module in /lib/modules/2.6.10-5-686/misc:
$sudo modprobe -v fglrx
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.10-5-686/misc/fglrx.ko

But I get the short message in dmesg and no accelerated 3D.

I also tried rolling back the kernel to the previous kernel version (+headers
etc), reboot, and recompiled the driver again, but I get the same results.
That surprises me and makes me wonder if there's something I'm missing in the
driver build?

Cheers,

James
--