[Breezy] Totem not playing Audio CDs

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 13:27:29 UTC 2005

Further on this (sorry for replying to myself), I've gotten audio CDs
and DVDs to open and play fine by changing the applications under
System/Preferences/Removable Drives and Media to gnome-cd for audio
CDs and wxvlc for DVDs. Those options were previously set to totem.

But this has been puzzling me since Warty preview: totem with the
gstreamer backend either doesn't work at all (audio CDs) or works
extremely poorly (DVDs). Playing DVDs, for example, it plays at less
than 10th realtime. I know everyone suggests switching to the Xine
backend, but I like the *idea* of the gstreamer backend, i.e. as an
API, and I just want to understand how something that's considered the
future could work so badly on my (relatively modern) system. I only
built this PC for Warty preview (whenever that was -- I can't remember
the version number, but it was just over a year ago, right?). It uses
an Intel motherboard with on-board Intel Extreme (i810) graphics and
1GB of RAM. My processor is a 2.4Ghz celeron.

What settings should I be playing around with? The
System/Preferences/Multimedia Selector for video is currently set to
XWindows(X11/XShm/Xv), although the test on all options works fine and
doesn't seem to affect Totem playback at all. Presumably
totem-gstreamer works for someone, at least the developers. Does it
require a better graphics card? And, if so, why does VLC not have a
problem?

-Eamonn