Breezy mirrormax repo?

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sun Sep 25 10:35:45 UTC 2005

Am Sonntag, den 25.09.2005, 12:13 +0200 schrieb Dennis Kaarsemaker:
> On zo, 2005-09-25 at 11:49 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>
> > w32codecs are highly illegal
>
> Is that so? After talking to Diego from mplayer, I got the impression
> that these codec packs and libdvdcss are not illegal. Only DeCSS is (for
> which ubuntu ships an installer!!).
so tell me how do you license a package that contains proprietary codecs
form a bunch of different distributors that dont even offer to be
installed together in one package under a well known proprietary OS ?
every single codec in this package has its own distribution license,
some of them even exclude districution together with another codec...
it would be possible to distribute each single codec in this package
with the permission of the license owner indeed, but there is no way to
distribute them in a package like that.

there is a reason why ubuntu doesnt ship it (even in mutiverse) and
there is a reason why not even the unofficial backports can ship it
anymore...

if you can convince microsoft, apple and realplayer (and whichever other
company has codecs in there) give us their their ok to ship these in one
package with the respective codecs of the concurring company, we'll
happily ship it. but before that happens, the RIAA will start to
distribute their films and music CDs for free in p2p networks i guess.

you simply violate the licenses of these codecs which makes it illegal
to distribute.

ciao
	oli