Notice at logon

alex radsky at ncia.net
Sat Sep 24 15:14:15 UTC 2005

I just completed installing UBUNTU 5.04 and it seems to be working fine
except that I get this notice at logon time.

"Could not look up Internet address for ubuntu
This will prevent Gnome from operating correctly.
It may be possible to correct the problem by
adding ubuntu to the file /etc/hosts."

I complied with the instructions but the notice
still comes up at logon time.  I presume that it
meant just add the word 'ubuntu' to the contents
of /etc/hosts.

I haven't had time to run GNOME through all its functions
but so far I haven't found any problems with it.

What's the story about this?  I checked the FAQs and couldn't find any
mention of this.

alex