firefox 1.0.7-0ubuntu0.1_i386 update error

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 08:59:35 UTC 2005

On 24/09/05, Max Andersen <max at militant.dk> wrote:
> I get the following error when applying the update via ubuntu update
> manager. Any ideas?
>

> E: /var/cache/apt/archives/mozilla-firefox_1.0.7-0ubuntu0.1_i386.deb:
> trying to overwrite `/var/lib/mozilla-firefox/extensions.d/00classic',
> which is also in package firefox
> E:
> /var/cache/apt/archives/mozilla-firefox-gnome-support_1.0.7-0ubuntu0.1_i386.deb:
> trying to overwrite
> `/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/components/libmozgnome.so', which is also in
> package firefox-gnome-support

I believe this issue comes up when you've tried to use backports.
Ubuntu's official package is mozilla-firefox, while the latest
backports one is just firefox. Maybe try apt-get remove firefox, take
out all that backports stuff from your sources.list, reload and try
again? I've sworn off backports. It's just not worth the headache.
I'll just tolerate the six-month Ubuntu upgrade cycle or use the
development version for a while, where everything is bleeding edge.

-Eamonn