Case Sensitive Sorting in Ubuntu

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Sep 23 10:32:35 UTC 2005

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 02:43:27AM -0700, Adam Done wrote:
>Ever since I have switched to Ubuntu and have been enjoying the
>experience but the one thing that has been troubling me is the lack of
>case sensitivity which I really love and use a lot on the systems.
>
>I know it is not just ls.. for I had looked into that and notice it is
>from everything in the terminal to all GUI.   Is there a setting I am
>missing since I am so perplexed?

For the command line it's your LC_COLLATE setting. Changing it to "C"
puts back case-sensitive sorting (at least in the CLI):

 $ locale | grep COLLATE
 LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8"
 $ ls coll
 a A b B c C
 $ LC_COLLATE="C" ls coll
 A B C a b c

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Software means never having to say you're finished.
     -- J. D. Hildebrand in UNIX REVIEW