strange nfs conversation

Holiday eholiday at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 03:38:00 UTC 2005

On 9/22/05, Al Gordon <runlevel7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/22/05, Stephen R Laniel <steve at laniels.org> wrote:
> > What you need is NIS. This will keep the UIDs in sync on
> > both your machines. The alternative is to manually copy
> > /etc/passwd, /etc/group and so forth between machines. I
> > find the latter irritating, but I know people who are fine
> > with it.
>
> Or LDAP (read as: "do people still use NIS?" ;) ).
>
> OpenLDAP is also not too difficult to set up to support centralized
> account management. There are several guides floating around about
> how to do this on Debian. They should work with little or no
> modification on Ubuntu.

Oh yi!!!

It was so simple before. I just went #mount yada yada - and hey presto!

But ok, I'll be a grownup and look into all this NIS and LDAP and ugidd etc.

I like the idea of LDAP, though. I have some experience with LDAP through a
Java project at work and it seems the most generic solution of the three (so
far). Once I've LDAP running it could be put to other uses wheras my scan of
NIS suggests it's more special purpose and the ugidd-etc approach even more
specific.

Am I wrong?