desktop menus

Michael Moore stuporglue at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 02:38:55 UTC 2005

> I really like both gnome and kde, but when using gnome I don't my menus
> filled with all kinds of kde-programs (program/internet/kpp etc).
>
> So is there any way to install kubuntu-desktop without messing up my
> gnome menu and vice versa? I know I can remove the entries manually in
> breezy with the menu-editor but I like things beeing done automatically : )
>
> Martin Ericsson

A hackish non-right way that would probably work in one direction only
is to chmod u-wrx all your conf files before installing
kubuntu-desktop. I think that should stop whatever program from adding
them. Kubuntu might still add programs to it's menu, but Gnomes should
stay clean.

Check the initial permissions, then after kubuntu is installed chmod
them back to what they were.

There's probably a "right way" to do this too though. :-)

--
Michael Moore