Resize XP partition for more Ubuntu space

Quirky ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Wed Sep 21 21:37:40 UTC 2005

Vram Wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 15:20 -0500, Charles Malespin wrote:
> > > So ...  It could very well be that /dev/sda3 is /boot
> > >
> > > Do this go to /boot.
> > >
> > > root at Aether:/boot # df .
> > > Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> > > /dev/hda1                97826     19793     72814  22% /boot
> > >

> > > do a df .
> > >
> > > It will tell you where you are..
> >
> > malespin at malespin:~$ cd /boot
> > malespin at malespin:/boot$ df .
> > Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> > /dev/sda5             65275692  10616296  51343584  18% /
> >

> > So this is a good thing right?  Can I now go to qtparted and
> > delete /dev/sda3?(gonna wait for confirmation first..)  After that I
> am
> > confused still as what the next step is.
> >

> This is a good thing......
>
> As with everything else..  There is risk...  I don't want you to be
> upset if this should fail....      Get your mind right...<rumor has it
> that the world will end>
>

> Do this..
>
> fdisk /dev/sda
>

> I am scared that when you delete /dev/sda3.  That it will want to
> move /dev/sda4 down a #......
>
> If that happens you will still have  /dev/sda5 and /dev/sda6..  That
> should not change...
>

> All you can do is delete /dev/sda3  and try to recreate it with the
> larger space...
>
> If the numbers move down  then create it as /dev/sda4...
>
> Then format it with the command.
>

> mkfs.ext3  /dev/sd<somenumber>
>

> check man page just to feel better about the format command
>
> man mkfs.ext3 <read as much as you want>
>
> After that you are ready to make entries in /etc/fstab...
>
> I have forgotten.. Why are you doing this????
>
> So I need to run a couple errands..
> <I will be gone probably 60 minutes>

Just a note, I used the System Rescue CD http://www.sysresccd.org/ .
It has qtparted and fdisk and solved my XP shrink. Resize NTFS
partition with qparted's GUI, place new extended partition in the gap
with fdisk - fdisk then n for new, e for extended, then use the default
values fdisk gives you for the start and end cylinders. Add logical
partitions in the gap with qparted's GUI again, as this formats the
created partition in whatever format you choose and adds lost+found
dir.

--
Quirky