Memory Issues

Smith, Troy (NIH/NCI) trsmith at mail.nih.gov
Wed Sep 21 15:10:10 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I have installed Ubuntu 5.04 on a Latitude D600, dual booting with a
non-Linux OS.  The laptop has 2GB of physical memory, which is recognized by
the BIOS and the other OS.  However, the output of $cat /proc/meminfo shows
the MemTotal=906656kb, and the output of free -m shows 885mb.  I installed
the default build with the 386 kernel.  I don't believe a hugemem kernel is
needed here, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong (I'm relatively new to
Linux).  Any guidance (I am actively searching Ubuntu wiki) and assistance
anyone is able to provide on how to get all of the memory recognized is
greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Troy