i just realized something frightening

Zach uid000 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 19:02:21 UTC 2005

Maybe somebody who knows more could comment, but I would be surprised
if the fan speed is governed by your OS.  I would think that would be
controlled by the motherboard hardware.  If there is only one fan
speeding up it could be because only cpu 0 is being heavily taxed.
The system monitor under Applications-->System tools will show you
load per cpu.

Also are you running the smp kernel?