understandable software and its installation

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Sep 20 13:48:45 UTC 2005

R.L. Reingard wrote:

> please don't talk like that.

Sorry, it's just a systems support joke.  We're all users here.

> if you do a service to someone, you have to consider who the person is.
> as a programer you have to think how things become truly understandable to
> ordinary people.

Well, I think you're wrong.  Most of Linux, and its apps, is written by
geeks for the fun of it.  They have a tendency to hate to document and,
much as it frustrates us, it's not our right to demand that they document
and definitely not to demand that they document well.  The correct response
is to write the documentation yourself and submit it to the maintainers.
However, in this case I argue that the documentation was clear.

> what do you win if you do differently?!

Who's trying to win?  Linux is NOT about world domination.  Linux is a
collaborative OS created by and for its users.  If, in the process, the
developers create something that non-geeks can know and love, that's all to
the good, but it is not required.
--
derek