Free, was Re: will ubuntu know my printer?

Lee Braiden lee_b at digitalunleashed.com
Tue Sep 20 09:42:56 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 10:31, Morten W. J. wrote:
> On Monday den 19. September 2005 18:44, admin wrote:
> > i'm hesitant in paying for software when the whole idea of linux is for
> > it to be free
>
> Yes. Free as in "you can modify it an do a lot of stuff with it - you may
> even see the source code". But not nessecarily free as in "zero $ cost"
>
> This is a point often misunderstood.

Well, I would say that it's often misunderstood that this point is
misunderstood ;)

On any system that comes with a compiler (usually the Free(dom) ones), access
to sourcecode effectively makes it cost-free as well as limitation-free.
Which is just as it should be, imho, if we are to give everyone equal access
to the information age.

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com