[Breezy] Problem getting nVidia Geforce 5200 card to work

Christian Convey christian.convey at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 00:34:45 UTC 2005

Hi guys,

I installed Breezy, and then installed nVidia's current proprietary
driver: NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7676-pkg1.run

After adjusting my xorg.conf file accordingly, I can't start X.

The odd thing is, there's a difference in the error message logged to
the consolve from which I run startx, and the messages that appear in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log.

The most noteworthy-seeming error message appears just on the console
from which I run startx:

"Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module is version 1.0.7667,
but this X module is version 1.0.7676. Please be sure that your kernel
module and all NVIDIA driver files have the same kernel version."

Does anyone know what might be causing this?  For now I'm getting by
on just the "nv" driver.

I've attached my xorg.conf file and my the Xorg.0.log file (the one
that oddly lacks the error message shown above.)

Thanks very much,
Christian