mv while retaning permissions?

Pierfrancesco Caci pf at caci.it
Sun Sep 18 10:06:29 UTC 2005

:-> "Senectus" == Senectus  <senectus at gmail.com> writes:

    > How do you move and retain permissions.

mount the new home partition somewhere temporarily, let's assume it's
under /newhome

as root(*), do
cd /home
tar cvlSp . | (cd /newhome; tar xvf -)

that's all. Umount the new partition, get rid of the old one, correct
/etc/fstab to mount the new partition on /home and you're all set.

There's a similar thing using cp or cpio. All work the same, I just
happen to remember this one better.

Pf

(*) yeah, we all have learnt ubuntu doesn't have root by now.
    "sudo -s" will do.

 Pierfrancesco Caci | ik5pvx | mailto:pf at tippete.net - http://www.tippete.net/
  Firenze - Italia  | Office for the Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs
     Linux penny 2.6.12-rc6 #1 Thu Jun 16 23:01:38 CEST 2005 i686 GNU/Linux