Help! Half-baked Breezy upgrade due to locale problem!

Ben Novack bhn3 at pitt.edu
Sat Sep 17 08:04:11 UTC 2005

On 9/17/05, Ben Novack <bhn3 at pitt.edu> wrote:
> > Nearly every package that the breezy upgrade tried to install gave me
> > the same error:
> >
> > perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> > perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
> >        LANGUAGE = "en"
> >        LC_ALL = (unset)
> >        LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
> >    are supported and installed on your system.
> > perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C")
> > locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
> > locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
> > locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
> >
> > usr/bin/dpkg then always fails with an error code of 1.
> >
> > So I ran dpkg-reconfigure, and it declared that "locales is broken or
> > not fully installed."
> >
> > So I appear to have large chunks of Breezy, large chunks of Hoary, and
> > an unusable system. What can I do to get my locale set properly, and
> > get everything properly moved to breezy?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ben
> >

> To clarify a little: The problem seems to be that
> python-wxversion_2.6.1.1ubuntu2_all wants to be installed, but that
> would overwrite /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wxversion.py, which
> is also in package wxpython 2.5.3. That prevents python-wxgtk2.6 from
> installing, since it depends on python-wxversion.
>
> --Ben

My apologies for so many posts in rapid succession; I neglected to
properly google for possible answers on my previous situation before I
posted to the list. At any rate, I've (probably) resolved that
problem, but now I face another:

After setting up a lot of packages successfully, apt-get dist-upgrade
tries to setup ubuntu-desktop, which fails. That's because
monodoc-browser fails to get configured. Copied by eye from my Ubuntu
machine:

** (user/lib/monodoc/browser.exe:3420): WARNING **: The following
asembly referenced from
/usr/lib/mono/gac/monodoc/1.0.0.0.0__0738eb9f132ed756/monodoc.dll
could not be loaded:
*snip*
later, at the end, "Unhandled Exception:
System.NulLReferenceException: Object Reference not set to an instance
of an object."

I can post the *snip*ed portion if it would actually be helpful fot
anyone for solving this, of course.

Many thanks,

--Ben