networking "restart" drops eth0 :(

Matt Patterson matt at v8zman.com
Fri Sep 16 20:08:58 UTC 2005

When you say you lose eth0 does that mean it is no longer a valid
interface, or it just doesnt come back up? Try this:

sudo ifconfig -a

If you see eth0 in that list then the interface was simply not brought
back up, you can do that easily by reenabling the device via the ui
(which is where I assume you are getting the restart option, i wouldnt
know because I never use the ui). To bring the device back up:

sudo ifup eth0

or

sudo ifconfig eth0 up

It's times like these that I am glad I had to learn debian networking
the hard way back in the days of potato.

Matt