asus wl-167g usb wifi adapter on ppc

Ian Baber ian at eugeneweb.com
Fri Sep 16 00:46:16 UTC 2005

I'm trying to get wifi under linux on my 12" ibook g4.  I bought a wl-167g usb
wlan adapter and followed the instructions for rt2500 based adapters on the
ubuntu wiki  at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Rt2500WirelessCardsHowTo
So I've successfully compiled and installed the driver, and the module
(rt2500) is shown loaded by lsmod.

rt2500                202388  0

the adapter is shown under lsusb

Bus 004 Device 005: ID 0b05:1706 ASUSTek Computer, Inc.
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 062a:0001 Creative Labs Notebook Optical Mouse
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04b4:6560 Cypress Semiconductor Corp. CY7C65640 USB-2.0
"TetraHub"
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

The device dosn't show up in the networking config gui.
ifconfig only shows eth0 and lo
iwconfig shows eth0, lo, and sit0, all with no wireless extensions.

what should I try now? I'm going crazy being tethered to my ethernet cable.
Thanks for any help
--Ian