Howto build kernel module?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Sep 15 22:15:45 UTC 2005

On 2005-09-15, Thomas Kaiser (ubuntu) <ubuntu at kaiser-linux.li> wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>>     make[2]: scripts/Makefile.build: No such file or directory

> I just checked my linux-header folder and I do have a
> scripts/Makefile.build.
> # ls /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.11-1/scripts/Makefile.build
> /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.11-1/scripts/Makefile.build
>
> Even runing "make oldconfig" works in the linux-header folder.

In the past I tried installing soruces and and running "make
oldconfig", but that doesn't actually build some of the
required headers and scripts.

> Usually, only the header files should be enough to build a
> module?

Yes.  But there were two directories under /usr/src, and I had
symlinked linux to the wrong one.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Why are these
                                  at               athletic shoe salesmen