Breezy installation question

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 15 16:05:20 UTC 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 04:34:27PM +0100, R Kimber wrote:
> Will the install program of the forthcoming new version of Unbuntu
> detect the existence of more than one cpu and install the appropriate
> smp kernel?
>
> With 5.04, I get the single cpu version by default on my dual opteron
> and have to add the smp kernel afterwards.

As mentioned on previous occasions when this question has come up, the
reason this doesn't work is not because the code isn't there, but
because there isn't space on the CD for multiple kernels (and if we
could scavenge that space, it would be better used for other things like
additional language support).

Netboot installations of Ubuntu will detect multiple CPUs and install an
SMP kernel, but the CD installation will not. I'm afraid this hasn't
changed in Breezy.

Cheers,