Lightweight terminal emulator?

Lee Braiden lee_b at digitalunleashed.com
Thu Sep 15 15:04:03 UTC 2005

On Thursday 15 September 2005 15:07, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2005-09-15, Lee Braiden <lee_b at digitalunleashed.com> wrote:
> > UTF-8 *is* a Unicode encoding.
>
> I know.  But there are still apps that I use daily that don't
> support it.  Mainly aterm.

I believe you can run those apps just by wrapping them with scripts to set the
right local options, or even by doing it on the command line, like LANG=c mc,
or whatever.

> > As for not wanting it... all modern Operating Systems use
> > unicode.  It's=20 inescapable these days, and it usually makes
> > life simpler.  By comparison,= =20 more limited encodings are
> > basically just hacks from when computers couldn'= t=20 handle
> > the range of human languages.
>
> Doesn't anybody send e-mail in plain ascii anymore?

Well, I'm not a USian, for one thing, and ASCII only covers common US
characters :)

Like the rest of my system, I want my emails to be capable of Khmer just as
easily as they're capable of English.  I want to be able to use proper
apostrophes and quotation marks in my text (although I've forgotten to do
that recently :) and I want to be able to use Greek or French or Japanese
phrases in the same email.  We live in a global culture these days, and I
really dislike the idea of everyone having their own little worlds that are
mutually incompatible.  Computers are capable of moving on from that, and I
think we really should do it as quickly as possible.

So, yes, I believe m17n is important, and I believe it's against RFCs to do
that using 8-bit messages rather than mime encoding.  I'm sure you'd probably
prefer quoted mime to html mail :)  I do apologise if it's difficult for
some, but I think even mutt can handle full unicode and quoted-printable
emails if set up correctly.

> I don't use KDE or GNOME.  They both requier more CPU and
> memory than I have on some of my machines.

Understandable :)

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com