How do I edit labels for a fat-32 (or vfat) partition

Lee Braiden lee_b at
Thu Sep 15 12:02:58 UTC 2005

On Thursday 15 September 2005 11:50, Carthik Sharma wrote:
> I have external HDDs which have vfat partitions without labels. So ubuntu
> automounts them to /media/usbdisk(-n)
> I understand that this is because the partitions or drives dont have volume
> labels.
> How can I create or edit volume labels for such partitions in linux?

You can create them when you make a vfat filesystem with mkfs.vfat -n
labelname, and you can add them to fstab by just replacing the mount device
with LABEL=labelname.  Ubuntu's automounting seems to be broken for me, so
I'm not sure if it works with that, but I guess it should.  With ext2/ext3,
the e2label program should let you do it without formatting first.  Might be
something similar available for vfat, but I haven't found it yet.

Lee Braiden