5.10 preview install disaster

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Sep 14 14:37:42 UTC 2005

On 2005-09-14, Alex Marten <alex.marten at gmail.com> wrote:

> Using an existing home directory can indeed cause problems
> across distributions.

I guess I've been lucky -- this is the first time it's caused
any significant problems.

> One can run into permission problems do to differences in user
> ids.  This is exacerbated in Ubuntu by the lack of a root
> account as one is unable to log in as root first and check to
> make sure that the primary user has the same uid as the one
> that originally created the existing home directory.

Yup, I figured that out.

> I find that the best way around this is to first set up a new
> home directory login and check the uid info and once that is
> settled change the users home directory to the desired one.

That's what I ended up doing.

The other problem I ran into is that I was doing stuff not as
that first "special" user that has admin rights but as a user I
had created immediately after the the install using "adduser".

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I have accepted
                                  at               Provolone into my life!